LFS Bootscripts 2.2.2-rc1 released, requires testing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 31 18:55:17 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I will second what Bruce says. In fact, I thought 1500 was fully
> optimized for broadband. IIRC.

The max MTU for Ethernet is 1514 including the frame header, under
normal circumstances.

However, a significant number of Ethernet adapters support "jumbo
frames", especially Gigabit adapters. Using 9000-byte frames on my
Gigabit link dramatically improves file transfer speeds, so I do that :-)

Also, there are other network interfaces besides Ethernet that may
benefit from having their MTU set to a non-default size.