Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 09:47:31 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> The proposed solution is to fix this broken assumption. The kernel
> should not call /sbin/hotplug at all if userspace is not ready. To
> achieve this, edit /usr/src/linux/kernel/kmod.c, line 50:
>
> - char modprobe_path[256] = "/sbin/modprobe";
> + char modprobe_path[256] = "";
>
> We should also tell the kernel that we are ready, in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug script. To do that, add the following line at
> the beginning of the "start" commands:
>
> echo "/sbin/hotplug" >/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> I have at least 4 votes for that:
>
> 1) My own
> 2) Kevin P. Fleming, in linux-hotplug-devel

This is true, I did suggest this. However, even though this is the
proper solution, I don't think that LFS can mandate a kernel patch for
people's systems to work properly.

I think the more appropriate (not better, not more elegant) solution is
to modify the hotplug package install (via either patch or manual
changes after "make install") to change /sbin/hotplug in some way so
that it won't get called until the system is ready. Simply renaming it
and then putting the new name into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug at the
proper time would suffice.