Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 09:49:53 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Alexander E. Patrakov said the following on 01-06-2004 18:10:
>

>> The situation is bad because the problem is not LFS-specific and there
>> is no upstream solution yet. We have to either solve the upstream
>> problem ourselves (see below, this requires a kernel patch) or to drop
>> udev and hotplug packages from the relatively-stable b6_0 branch,
>> because they expose bad kernel design that leads to known bugs.
>

> Told you so! :-)

I know Jeroen is being a bit funny here, but to ensure that all
viewpoints are presented...

This is exactly the reason we _wanted_ to put udev and hotplug into
HEAD, so that they could be tested on a larger number of systems than
just the ones that us BELFS testers were playing with. If we didn't do
that, we could only "play follow the leader" and wait for the other
distros to make everything right with the world before we put it into
the book, and the community has said they don't want to go that direction.