Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 11:36:48 PDT 2004

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:40BCB3B1.5060907 at linuxfromscratch.org...

> This is exactly the reason we _wanted_ to put udev and hotplug into
> HEAD, so that they could be tested on a larger number of systems than
> just the ones that us BELFS testers were playing with. If we didn't do
> that, we could only "play follow the leader" and wait for the other
> distros to make everything right with the world before we put it into
> the book, and the community has said they don't want to go that direction.

And this is exactly why HEAD should not become test at points in time
(usually determined by releases). The differences of opinion really do come
down to:

Do you put Unstable into Test when it becomes stable  OR
Do you pull Unstable from Test when it proves unstable.

The community prefers the latter, something I will probably never
understand.

Larry

PS: I thought Jeremy and Matt killed b_6.0, to be restored to its new form
upon release of gcc-3.4.1.