Purpose of the FAQ

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 15:35:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:02:40 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> It seems to me that the minimal host requirements should be documented
> in the book itself, since the book should be able to teach a user
> without the FAQ.

I thought it had already been decided that accurately determining the
minimum host requirements for an LFS build was out of scope (or simply
unachievable in any kind of complete state) for the project?  I know
that *something* was mentioned regarding documenting known bad/broken
hosts, but can't recall where this information ended up, if anywhere.

As it is, I think that with the current development (i.e. what will lead
to 6.0) being as it is, such idiosyncracies will be few and far between
due to us needing a fairly recent host to build from.  If they're still
shipping such an ancient version of autoconf with those hosts then it's
a bug for upstream host maintainers, not us, IMO.

Cheers,

Matt.