Purpose of the FAQ

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu
Tue Jun 1 16:19:49 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:02:40 +0200
> Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>>It seems to me that the minimal host requirements should be documented
>>in the book itself, since the book should be able to teach a user
>>without the FAQ.
>

> I thought it had already been decided that accurately determining the
> minimum host requirements for an LFS build was out of scope (or simply
> unachievable in any kind of complete state) for the project?  I know
> that *something* was mentioned regarding documenting known bad/broken
> hosts, but can't recall where this information ended up, if anywhere.
>
> As it is, I think that with the current development (i.e. what will lead
> to 6.0) being as it is, such idiosyncracies will be few and far between
> due to us needing a fairly recent host to build from.  If they're still
> shipping such an ancient version of autoconf with those hosts then it's
> a bug for upstream host maintainers, not us, IMO.

I still think its a major error to not directly support a LFS 5.1 base in
the LFS 6.0 Book.  I don't even see (looking at unstable, testing on the
mirrors is a 404) where it says you must have a Linux 2.6 based system.
I'm looking at the "How things are to be done" sections that says:

"You are going to build your LFS system by using a previously installed
Linux distribution (such as Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSE). This
existing Linux system (the host) will be used as a starting point, because
you will need programs like a compiler, linker and shell to build the new
system. Normally all the required tools are available if you selected
“development” as one of the options when you installed your distribution."

In chapter 8, we give instructions about how to build the kernel, why not
also at the beginning of Chapter 5 with specifics needed for LFS 6.0?

   -- Bruce

P.S.  Please don't quote the old argument that the LFS user should already
know how to build a kernel.  If that is so, the section "Linux-2.6.6" in
Chapter 8 should be reduced to one line: "Go build and install the kernel".