Purpose of the FAQ

Jon jester2.0 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 16:30:31 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>I still think its a major error to not directly support a LFS 5.1 base
>in the LFS 6.0 >Book.  I don't even see (looking at unstable, testing on
the mirrors is a 404) where it says you must have a Linux 2.6 based system.
>I'm looking at the "How things are to be done" sections that says:

>"You are going to build your LFS system by using a previously installed
>Linux distribution (such as Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSE). This
>existing Linux system (the host) will be used as a starting point,
>because you will need programs like a compiler, linker and shell to
>build the new system. Normally all the required tools are available if
>you selected "development" as one of the options when you installed your
distribution."

Why not reword the section to have people use the bootcds.  There could be a
"release" cd that includes the packages tarball and this would resolve all
of the issues about a host not meeting requirements.  All other distros use
CD's as the primary install method.  No reason we should not that I can
think of.

Jon

Protected by Polesoft Lockspam
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html