Purpose of the FAQ

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 17:25:52 PDT 2004

Jon said the following on 02-06-2004 02:10:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>

>>LFS is not a distro, it's a book which teaches about the inner workings
>>of a Linux system by building one from the source. Thus, while a boot
>>CD is a very handy companion, it doesn't serve the primary goal of LFS
>>and thus shouldn't be a requirement or assumption.
>

> How does using a CD vs. a host take from the learning experience?  You still
> have to mount the drives, create directories, users, etc.  Just cause your
> host is a CD does not in any way change the learning aspect of LFS.

I only said it doesn't serve the primary goal of education. A boot CD is
very useful, but it only gets you to the point where you're ready for
LFS. I've always recommended a boot CD in the FAQ, but until now, LFS
was always very agnostic about the host, as long as it allowed you to
build the LFS system. I think we should keep it that way, although we
should certainly expand the current "host requirements" section to
something which a reader can actually use and act upon (before turning
to the list or the FAQ).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans