Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 19:44:12 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:

> although, lets be realisticv here - theres no reason single-user boot
> and a quick fixup cant be done, and the patch (if deemed the 'right
> way') will be folded into the kernel in time.

If by "quick fixup" you mean rebuild the kernel with the patch included
then I would agree. If by that you mean get rid of the file that's
causing the bootscript to skip running udevstart, that's harder, because
it will just come back, and somewhat randomly.

To be honest, when I posted the bug I was really expecting the response
to be "let's just remove the short-circuit check in the bootscript and
always run udevstart". I would be OK with that, I was the one who
originally asked for the short-circuit check and my own personal need
for it has gone anyway :-) However, it is technically better to not
re-run udevstart if it's not needed, and the underlying problem with the
kernel expecting userspace to be ready for hotplug events the instant
the root filesystem is mounted is a bigger issue.

For now, I'd rather see the bootscript get modified than the
incorporation of the kernel patch; for the vast (99.9% or more) majority
of systems that will take care of the problem and noone will have any
clue that their system handled some too-early hotplug events.