Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 21:47:25 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> I can yank the check for now, but still if you have a readwrite root
> filesystem at bootup, you'll get a few garbage devices underneath the
> ramfs you mounted on /dev.  I dont think that is acceptable in the
> longterm.

OK, I hadn't thought it through that way. In that case, I change my
opinion and agree that the kernel patch is the way to go until such time
as we can build an initramfs that does this stuff before the root
filesystem is mounted.

Also, this begs the question of why the bootscripts want to have the
root filesystem mounted read-only in the first place... in the past this
was because it was best to always run an fsck on the root filesystem,
but with people using journalling filesystems now (in my case XFS) that
is becoming less useful and more of an annoyance than anything else.