Udev in b6_0: to be or not to be

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 1 23:39:39 PDT 2004

DJ Lucas said the following on 02-06-2004 08:20:

> Well I'm not yet familliar with subversion, but it just seems more
> logical to me that way.

Subversion is really great; we use it at our company to maintain dozens
of "branches" from an OSS product which we customize for clients. The
trunk represents the latest stable release of the product, and the
branches are used to track our own changes. We can merge a new release
into each branch and share customizations among different branches. It's
working really well here.

We can use a similar thing for LFS, except we'd start with two branches
(unstable & testing) and branch & tag them as necessary. A branch is in
Subversion nothing more then a read-write copy of the original with
preserved history. A tag is the same thing, except its read-only. We can
branch unstable if we need to add a new gcc, and we can branch testing
to pull that gcc. Merging changes is really easy, essentially a two-step
proces (merge & commit). A new LFS release is then a tagging of the
testing branch.

We'll have to let go of the concept of version-driven releases though
(such as with the current tagging policy of branches in CVS), and focus
on content instead of label.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans