New Beta Bootscript Package 20040601

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Wed Jun 2 03:12:10 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> We moved the optional module's script symlink to S35modules [rcsysinit.d
> dir].  This way it can load modules before mounting filesystems.  With the
> kernel patch that people dont want to use, this should fix the problem on
> devices being created on boot by those with / rw filesystems on bootup.

Sorry for that, but the idea proved itself to be wrong. The only thing
we achieve is that usbcore can now be a module.

My original intention was to allow /var/www to be on a RAID controller
with proprietary binary-only driver (not a real setup, but something I
refused to do on ums.physics.usu.ru). However, the modules script by
itself would not offer much help here. The problem is that udev is run
asynchronously, so the device may not be created yet when the mountfs
script runs.

A proposal is to separate the creation of devices and regular files.
Currently both things are done in the createfiles script. I think that
devices must be created before mountfs, and regular files or directories
  - after mountfs. This way one can insert the module for that RAID
controller and create the relevant device node without having to rely
upon udev. Maybe we should even make the udev initscript to read
/etc/createfiles instead of creating a predefined set of files.

> The udev script will either pass udev or hotplug to
> /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug (both are currently untested as of yet, but 99%
> sure they work).

The solution is wrong, because there is still a small time window for
unexpected hotplug events.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .