Purpose of the FAQ

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 2 06:57:11 PDT 2004

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au said the following on 02-06-2004 12:04:

> egads, if you cannot build a 2.6 kernel and module init tools on your
> host box and add a /sys directory why would you be doing LFS?
>
> These are the *ONLY* requirements for building lfs 6.x.

So, to conclude, the host requirements are "the ability to build a 2.6
kernel". We can state exactly this as the host requirement, and point
the user to other docs on how they can do this, since the exact
procedure is outside the LFS scope. We already have assembled pointers
to other documentation about this on the Wiki (and since the 2.6 kernel
is still very young, we should provide these pointers). It seems to me
that this page
(http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel)
should be incorporated in the book to resolve this thread. The good
hosts/bad hosts list should be maintained outside the book, preferably
in the Wiki.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans