Purpose of the FAQ

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Jun 2 07:58:10 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au said the following on 02-06-2004 12:04:
>

>> egads, if you cannot build a 2.6 kernel and module init tools on your
>> host box and add a /sys directory why would you be doing LFS?
>>
>> These are the *ONLY* requirements for building lfs 6.x.
>

> So, to conclude, the host requirements are "the ability to build a 2.6
> kernel". We can state exactly this as the host requirement, and point
> the user to other docs on how they can do this, since the exact
> procedure is outside the LFS scope.

I really hate to be repetitive here, but my earlier question was never
answered.  If we establish this 'requirement', and determine that the
procedure is out of scope for LFS, why do we go into so much detail in
Chapter 8 about building the kernel?  The *only* thing left out there is
what selections to choose during the `make menuconfig`.

  -- Bruce