Purpose of the FAQ

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 2 08:16:40 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs said the following on 02-06-2004 16:58:

> I really hate to be repetitive here, but my earlier question was never
> answered.  If we establish this 'requirement', and determine that the
> procedure is out of scope for LFS, why do we go into so much detail in
> Chapter 8 about building the kernel?  The *only* thing left out there is
> what selections to choose during the `make menuconfig`.

I cooked up a revised chapter 8 here:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingKernel
although it's a bit out-of-date wrt. udev/hotplug.

The kernel chapter would integrate e2fstools, modutils, udev, hotplug
and discuss the choices a user has. It doesn't get into the options
which one should select (except the minimally required, such as ext2/3
and hotplug support), instead focusing on an explanation of the various
subsystems and how they relate. Of course, all within the context of
building a kernel for your system, thus strong focus on customization
(modules or not?) and education (pointers to other docs, eg. BLFS for
filesystems).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans