Purpose of the FAQ

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Jun 2 08:50:08 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs said the following on 02-06-2004 16:58:
>

>> I really hate to be repetitive here, but my earlier question was
>> never answered.  If we establish this 'requirement', and determine
>> that the procedure is out of scope for LFS, why do we go into so much
>> detail in Chapter 8 about building the kernel?  The *only* thing left
>> out there is what selections to choose during the `make menuconfig`.
>

> I cooked up a revised chapter 8 here:
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingKernel
> although it's a bit out-of-date wrt. udev/hotplug.

Do you mean
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel
in the Compile section?

> The kernel chapter would integrate e2fstools, modutils, udev, hotplug
> and discuss the choices a user has. It doesn't get into the options
> which one should select (except the minimally required, such as ext2/3
> and hotplug support), instead focusing on an explanation of the
> various subsystems and how they relate.

I agree.

> Of course, all within the context of building a kernel for your
> system, thus strong focus on customization (modules or not?) and
> education (pointers to other docs, eg. BLFS for filesystems).

Exactly!   And it should do the same for building a 2.6 kernel before
Chapter 5. Without it, the book is terribly inconsistent.  After all the
book gives explicit instructions for things like tar, diffutils,
texinfo, gawk, etc. twice and the only difference is configure options.
These packages are far simplier than the kernel, but current thinking
appears to be that leaving out the far more complex kernel instructions
needed to upgrade from a 2.4 system is appropriate, but two pages for
each of these simple packages is OK.

  -- Bruce