Purpose of the FAQ

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 2 09:40:48 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs said the following on 02-06-2004 17:50:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>>
>> I cooked up a revised chapter 8 here:
>> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingKernel
>> although it's a bit out-of-date wrt. udev/hotplug.
>
> Do you mean
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel
> in the Compile section?

You mean "Configuring and building it"?

The way I see it, the kernel pages should be revised as follows:

1. The host requirements (chapter 5) should give pointers for people on
how to upgrade their distro to 2.6. It should *not* contain explicit
instructions, because they are very host-dependent. The
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel
page is meant to collaborate on that.

2. The LFS kernel instructions should be expanded to be more educational
and useful. The
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingKernel page
is a very preliminary proposed structure for how that can be done
(although written with some outdated assumptions).

>> The kernel chapter would integrate e2fstools, modutils, udev, hotplug
>> and discuss the choices a user has. It doesn't get into the options
>> which one should select (except the minimally required, such as ext2/3
>> and hotplug support), instead focusing on an explanation of the
>> various subsystems and how they relate.
>

> I agree.
>
>> Of course, all within the context of building a kernel for your
>> system, thus strong focus on customization (modules or not?) and
>> education (pointers to other docs, eg. BLFS for filesystems).
>

> Exactly!   And it should do the same for building a 2.6 kernel before
> Chapter 5. Without it, the book is terribly inconsistent.  After all the
> book gives explicit instructions for things like tar, diffutils,
> texinfo, gawk, etc. twice and the only difference is configure options.

Well, for chapter 5 (or 4), we don't need to give too much explanation
of the kernel. We just need the user to use a 2.6 kernel on his host and
he can do that with distro tools (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6). The
actual explanation can be deferred to chapter 8 (and we can of course
refer to it if the reader comes from an LFS-5 host :-)).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans