Purpose of the FAQ

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu
Wed Jun 2 10:53:53 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Well, for chapter 5 (or 4), we don't need to give too much explanation
> of the kernel.

But some explaination is needed.  A recommendation to build without modules
if the host peripherals will allow it is one piece of information that
should be included.

We just need the user to use a 2.6 kernel on his host and
> he can do that with distro tools (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6). The
> actual explanation can be deferred to chapter 8 (and we can of course
> refer to it if the reader comes from an LFS-5 host :-)).

Why do you recommend referring the reader in Chapter 4 for the kernel when
ALL the packages in Chapter 5 have explicit instructions in Chapter 6?

   -- Bruce