Kernel explanation [was: Re: Purpose of the FAQ]

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 2 14:22:35 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs said the following on 02-06-2004 19:53:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> Well, for chapter 5 (or 4), we don't need to give too much explanation
>> of the kernel.
>

> But some explaination is needed.  A recommendation to build without
> modules if the host peripherals will allow it is one piece of
> information that should be included.
>
> We just need the user to use a 2.6 kernel on his host and
>
>> he can do that with distro tools (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6).
>> The actual explanation can be deferred to chapter 8 (and we can of
>> course refer to it if the reader comes from an LFS-5 host :-)).
>

> Why do you recommend referring the reader in Chapter 4 for the kernel
> when ALL the packages in Chapter 5 have explicit instructions in Chapter 6?

Not sure if I understand your point exactly. What is it that you argue
against or for? To make the "host requirements" page a complete kernel
explanation page? Doing so would be out of LFS scope, because a user is
completely free on how to build or install the actual 2.6 kernel,
instead of being limited to what we can offer.
What do you propose then?

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans