Purpose of the FAQ

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 2 14:44:04 PDT 2004

M.Canales.es said the following on 02-06-2004 20:43:

> El Mié 02 Jun 2004 19:53, Bruce Dubbs escribió:
>
>>Why do you recommend referring the reader in Chapter 4 for the kernel when
>>ALL the packages in Chapter 5 have explicit instructions in Chapter 6?
>

> Like I see it, the kernel update is made in the host system, and its best done
> using the owns tools and packages included in the host distro (apt, rpm,
> etc..) to prevent issues regarding host's packages versions or bootscripts
> that we can't solve. No instructions needed.
>
> The exception is if the host is an LFS < 6.x. In this case we *must* say how
> the upgrade can be done by putting the instruction in the book or by pointing
> to a hint or wiki page.

Well, since we should/will provide decent kernel instructions, we can
refer to chapter 8. But the Wiki page contains references to two hints
for LFS on how to install or upgrade the 2.6 kernel. Is it necessary to
give more instructions for someone who has already built an LFS system
and is thus familiar with the methodology and educational benefits?

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans