New Beta Bootscript Package 20040601

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Jun 2 17:43:48 PDT 2004

Chris Lingard wrote:
> net.agent[898]: how do I bring interfaces up on this distro?

That's what /etc/hotplug/net.agent (hotplug-2004-04-01) says when:

1) /sbin/ifup is not executable, and

2) /etc/gentoo-release is not a file

But even if /etc/gentoo-release was a file, we'd need
/etc/init.d/net.$INTERFACE to be executable for the second branch of the
if to work, and our bootscripts don't work that way.

We could symlink /sbin/ifup to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup, but
it might be better to submit a patch to the hotplug maintainers to make
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup an alternative method...  Plus,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup won't be right if the user is using
ifconfig.$INTERFACE instead, so maybe it should check that first...