Hotplug patches from Debian

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 4 21:10:06 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> How would we change the status of the network between runlevels?

Yeah, that would be a problem. There's no reason you couldn't still have
runlevel-based scripts too, they just would have to check to see if
their work was actually needed.
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/{ifup,ifdown} should be modified to check
the interface status to see if it already up/down and just exit if so.

I don't know if it's really practical to go this direction, but it does
seem like it may be worth some time to try it out, given that it
wouldn't be terribly difficult to try as best I can tell. Should be a
fairly simple patch to /etc/hotplug/net.agent to look for
/etc/lfs-release and call /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/{ifup,ifdown}
with the interface name.