Hotplug patches from Debian

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 5 08:38:32 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> We cannot do that because this would render old ISA non-PNP network
> cards unusable.

The hotplug scripts won't generate coldplug events for them? I think you
are referring a system where the drive for this ISA non-PNP NIC is a
module, but that is not the real issue here.

I'd suspect that if the driver for the NIC was compiled into the kernel,
the hotplug subsystem would generate a coldplug event for it at startup,
just like it would for any other type of network device.