Hotplug patches from Debian

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sat Jun 5 20:49:19 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
>> How would we change the status of the network between runlevels?
>

> Yeah, that would be a problem. There's no reason you couldn't still have
> runlevel-based scripts too, they just would have to check to see if
> their work was actually needed.
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/{ifup,ifdown} should be modified to check
> the interface status to see if it already up/down and just exit if so.
>
> I don't know if it's really practical to go this direction, but it does
> seem like it may be worth some time to try it out, given that it
> wouldn't be terribly difficult to try as best I can tell. Should be a
> fairly simple patch to /etc/hotplug/net.agent to look for
> /etc/lfs-release and call /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/{ifup,ifdown}
> with the interface name.

If you go this route, I think maybe we need to rethink the network setup
again.  ifup and ifdown should be generic for everything based on the
interface config file.  Even if we didn't go to a "entirely
hotplug-driven network setup," it'd be nice IMO.  One thing tho, I'm not
sure how we'd hold the script untill it's actually time to bring up the
network.  First thoughts...a lock file or something if the machine is in
the correct runlevels.  Can you force the script to loop and wait for a
file to appear? I'm not yet familiar with hotplug, but I don't think
it'd affect the scripts directly (cept our lock and loop).  Totally
hotplug may be a bit much ATM.

-- DJ Lucas