linux/config.h (unstable)

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sun Jun 6 00:00:58 PDT 2004

Aite time for unstable?  A few weeks ago I had suggested a change to the
linux-libc-headers.  Specifically 'linux/config.h'.  I wanted to get rid
of the error generated when it is used.  There is good and bad to this
suggestion.  The problem is that packages should not be using this
header at all, but quite a few do anyway.  As the headers are now, it
generates an error message telling you not to include that file.  While
I think the real problem should be fixed in BLFS packages that suffer
from this brokeness, what about other packages not included in BLFS?  A
quick assumption (I know that is probably bad):  A fair amount of users
are not programmers, and may not feel comfortable editing a source file,
or even know how to remove an include.  I'd like to see this done after
the headers are installed:

cat > /usr/include/linux/config.h << "EOF"
#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#endif
EOF

The problem is that it doesen't help to track down the broken packages,
nor does it give the maintainers an incentive to fix their code.  Should
LFS do this for the sake of it's readers, or just leave them to figure
it out on their own?  My only real arguments are for ease of use, but
consistancy fits here as I had mentioned in the previous thread:

 > we make changes in other packages for minor backwards
 > compatibility, take posix version for example. Why should
 > this one be any different?

Any thoughts?

-- DJ Lucas