Hotplug patches from Debian

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Sat Jun 5 20:26:55 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> We cannot do that because this would render old ISA non-PNP network
>> cards unusable.
>

> The hotplug scripts won't generate coldplug events for them? I think you
> are referring a system where the drive for this ISA non-PNP NIC is a
> module, but that is not the real issue here.

No, I am referring to both module and non-module cases.

> I'd suspect that if the driver for the NIC was compiled into the kernel,
> the hotplug subsystem would generate a coldplug event for it at startup,
> just like it would for any other type of network device.

No, coldplug events are synthetized by hotplug scripts, not generated by
kernel. And there is just no script that would provide such synthetic event.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .