LFS Package GPG Signature

Roel Neefs rneefs at pandora.be
Mon Jun 7 12:41:34 PDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 21:03, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Roel Neefs said the following on 07-06-2004 20:11:
> > LFS is beginning to become a more and more linux newbie oriented
> > book, and i don't like that change, it is a hell for support.
>
> Where has it become more newbie oriented? If anything, the move to

It's a change i noticed the last year (maybe it's only me), inclusion of
small things like the resolv.conf, the addition of a $LFS/sources, the
threads about MAKEDEV/make_devices and explaining on how to change them
for your needs, ...
All because people that imho in the first place shouldn't lfs were
complaining about the lack of them/couldn't do it themselves. But are
quite normal for a mediocre to advanced linux user which is the target
audience of the book.

> 2.6/NPTL raises the bar, especially by requiring the user to built a
> 2.6 kernel before LFS actually begins.

That would indeed have raised the bar again, but then some people here
on the list wanted detailed instructions on how to do it...

> Providing references to
> *external* documentation is not a signal of the book becoming more
> newbie-friendly, if anything, it stresses the scope and boundaries of
> the book and sets the required knowledge to build an LFS system. But

I have nothing against pointing to existing documentation, if anything i
encourage that, but you were talking here about adding the meaning of
gpg --verify and things like that to the book.

> I understand how this can be seen as a sign that LFS becomes more
> newbie oriented. Education seems to be a less important goal then the
> building of a custom system, at least, that seems to be the current
> trend.

No it isn't, not to me at least. But you can't please every linux user,
if you really are going to lower the bar for new linux users, then the
advanced users will go away cause it becomes all to easy, i always
thought of lfs to be a challenge to do the first time.

> BTW is support really increasing, or is that just an assumption? The
> support lists seem to be very quiet lately, but I can't speak for
> IRC.

It is increasing, not on the lists but on IRC, a lot of people are
helped their daily with their lfsing, not just the 3-4 support mails on
the list :)

--
	Roel
"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"