LFS Package GPG Signature

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 7 12:53:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:41:34 +0200
Roel Neefs <rneefs at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Monday 07 June 2004 21:03, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Roel Neefs said the following on 07-06-2004 20:11:
> > > LFS is beginning to become a more and more linux newbie oriented
> > > book, and i don't like that change, it is a hell for support.
> >
> > Where has it become more newbie oriented? If anything, the move to
>
> It's a change i noticed the last year (maybe it's only me), inclusion
> of small things like the resolv.conf, the addition of a $LFS/sources,
> the threads about MAKEDEV/make_devices and explaining on how to change
> them for your needs, ...

OK, in our defense, I believe these were edited so as to reduce support
mails, specifically regard fairly frequent misunderstandings of exactly
those topics.

> All because people that imho in the first place shouldn't lfs were
> complaining about the lack of them/couldn't do it themselves. But are
> quite normal for a mediocre to advanced linux user which is the target
> audience of the book.

While I agree with the target audience you outline there, I'd also add
that the book needs to be as clear as possible to non-native English
speakers - that is we can't (and mustn't) assume that they can "read
between the lines" like native English speakers might.  I think the
clarifications made to the above 3 areas actually help those folks too.

> > BTW is support really increasing, or is that just an assumption? The
> > support lists seem to be very quiet lately, but I can't speak for
> > IRC.
>
> It is increasing, not on the lists but on IRC, a lot of people are
> helped their daily with their lfsing, not just the 3-4 support mails
> on the list :)

In which case, would those folks that frequent the #lfs-support channel
be able to provide feedback to the lists regarding frequent areas of the
book that seem to cause particular problems/frustrations that either
aren't already in the FAQ or are more appropriately addressed in the
book?

Cheers,

Matt.