LFS Package GPG Signature

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Mon Jun 7 16:45:05 PDT 2004

On Mon, June 07, 2004 at 18:29 -0500, Roel Neefs wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 00:59, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
> > > It is increasing, not on the lists but on IRC, a lot of people are
> > > helped their daily with their lfsing, not just the 3-4 support
> > > mails on the list :)
> >
> > I wonder how this comes? Is it because users get better/faster
> > answers on IRC, or because the lists have become more hostile?
>
> I don't think it's the latter, unless you're on lfs-dev you don't see
> much of the hostility (well, "discussions" ;) ).
> Most people we see there went straight to irc, and several of them also
> stay there to help others. The quick responsiveness is certainly an
> advantage. And perhaps the fact that you don't have to show your
> "problem" to the whole list is a factor as well, dunno really.

And their lies two problems: One, if the problem is so
elementary the user is embarrassed to pose the question in
public, it probably means the user was to lazy to do the
proper research on his own. Two, these problems don't get
archived and will continue to be asked, over and over and
over, because folks respond to them via IRC and there's
no way to search these question/answer dialogs.

If these question/answer sessions were archived, the support
level would decrease, as more and more common questions are
available via search mechanisms.

--
Randy