LFS Package GPG Signature

Roel Neefs geryon at gaosu.rave.org
Mon Jun 7 17:02:28 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 01:45, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> > > I wonder how this comes? Is it because users get better/faster
> > > answers on IRC, or because the lists have become more hostile?
> >
> > I don't think it's the latter, unless you're on lfs-dev you don't
> > see much of the hostility (well, "discussions" ;) ).
> > Most people we see there went straight to irc, and several of them
> > also stay there to help others. The quick responsiveness is
> > certainly an advantage. And perhaps the fact that you don't have to
> > show your "problem" to the whole list is a factor as well, dunno
> > really.
>
> And their lies two problems: One, if the problem is so
> elementary the user is embarrassed to pose the question in
> public, it probably means the user was to lazy to do the
> proper research on his own.

Sure there are lots questions that could easily be found in the
archives/google/any other way, but that's on the lists as well, that
hasn't stopped them. And many of them think every problem they have is
one they will get flamed for for asking like in so many other projects
out there.

> Two, these problems don't get
> archived and will continue to be asked, over and over and
> over, because folks respond to them via IRC and there's
> no way to search these question/answer dialogs.
>
> If these question/answer sessions were archived, the support
> level would decrease, as more and more common questions are
> available via search mechanisms.

That's why there's a faq, i don't think it's a coincidence that the faq
was first made by someone who was on irc regularly. It's true that
perhaps we didn't really pass the new faqs through, perhaps we can work
on that, we talked about the current issues with Matt today on irc.

--
Roel Neefs
http://lfs.rave.org/lfs/news.html and ftp://gaosu.rave.org/pub/linux/lfs