LFS Package GPG Signature

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 7 18:08:35 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:

> Anyone got a good 'raid for dummies' howto? in particular, I want to be
> able to extend the filesystem without repartitioning as I add new
> drives...

That's not really RAID, that's LVM2. If you want to just span disks,
LVM2 can do that easily, you can add new disks and add the space to one
or more existing volumes, and the use the filesystem's resize tool to
extend the filesystem into the new space. I've done this with ext3 and
XFS with no problems.

If you are going to use some sort of parity RAID (RAID-4/5) and want to
be able to add space, that's a whole different ballgame... I don't think
Linux software RAID supports adding disks to a RAID-5 set yet.