LFS Package GPG Signature

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Jun 7 18:11:43 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Roel Neefs said the following on 08-06-2004 02:02:
>

>> That's why there's a faq, i don't think it's a coincidence that the
>> faq was first made by someone who was on irc regularly. It's true
>> that perhaps we didn't really pass the new faqs through, perhaps we
>> can work on that, we talked about the current issues with Matt today
>> on irc.
>

> Sure, I accept all patches you'll send along, or other material under
> the conditions of http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#contribute :-)
> I'm also willing to extend the FAQ team with one or more regular
> member(s) from IRC so you're not dependent on me. In the future, once
> the main website is setup with a CMS (testing TWiki now), I intend to
> open the FAQ even more to user-contributed material.

If this is seriously going to be thought about, I have 2 names I'd like
to suggest - Ronald or Roel - either of those two are highly regulars on
#lfs-support, and have been nearly since it was founded over a year
ago.  Both would be extremely qualified to help in this regard.

As for why people go to IRC - the biggest reason is the rapid response -
these guys are anxious to get their LFS done, and don't want to post to
the lists, and have to wait perhaps days to get a response.  Also, the
IRC channel is mentioned both in the book and on the website, so it's
always been known to be an acceptable place to go for help.  Another
reason is the "community" factor - there's often a lot of non-LFS
related chatting there, and for many, that helps to pass the time during
those LONG compiles :)

Honestly, if more people involved with the project were on IRC, things
would be a lot easier.  It's so much easier to have a discussion about
things over IRC rather than email, at least IMHO.

-J-