LFS Package GPG Signature

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Tue Jun 8 04:49:00 PDT 2004

* Randy McMurchy <LFS-User at mcmurchy.com> [2004-06-08 11:31]:
> On Mon, June 07, 2004 at 20:38 -0500, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
>
> > What i do not intend to do is to develop a search engine to search these
> > logs, i do not posess the knowledge to do that algorythm.
> > What I meant with "device me a way" is to send me the code or detailed
> > instructions to search properly into the logs.
>
> I would have no clue either. My whole point in what I said
> earlier was that by using irc, the support dialog is not
> archived. Using the mailing lists, it is.
>
> Archives can be searched. When folks ask questions, it does
> not come off as curt or rude, instead it's quite helpful to
> say: "You know, I remember last week/month/whatever, that
> question was asked; you may want to search the archives, as
> I know the solution was provided there."
>
> The first time someone finds an answer they're looking for,
> they'll be hooked on searching archives before asking
> questions. And that's just one more person who can start
> looking out for himself.
>
> Wouldn't you think?

Randy,

Indeed one big disadvantage of irc is that it's not easy to archive. I
have logs of the time I spend there (at least three hours a day) that
amount to around 16MB, but there isn't an easy way to share them.

OTOH, it has many advantages. It's one more way to help people out. Many
knowledgeable folks hang out there so it's an easy way to get quick and
accurate answers. Many people are more comfortable on irc than on the
mailing lists.

Also, the consensus seems to be not to handhold people. Newbies are
unceremoniously (but not rudely (usually)) sent to read the faq, the
archives, or google. After that, they tend not to repeat questions that
are answered there, and instead help out when other newbies come around.
In that sense it works the same way as the lists.

I'd say that the quantity of people that get help on irc and on the
lists are comparable (meaning, the same order of magnitude).

Also, we generally just have a good time chatting about many things. In
other words, I don't share your concerns about IRC :)

--
Miguel Bazdresch
buo @ #lfs-support