Kernel page, once again

Zeplin zeplin10 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 22:54:21 PDT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:21:37 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> The current kernel page is too bad because people naively expect Hotplug
> to load all modules and Udev to create all devices they need. There was
> already three support requests on the "ALSA+Udev" topic.
How long has it been in the book? 3 requests isnt many, spend a couple
days in irc on #lfs-support, You will see many many of the same questions
get asked over and over lol.

I would be more inclined to say, that the cvs head isnt for everyone, That
is why you create a release, So that people can work from a stable,
reliable, well documented packages.

> Such a number of almost identical support requests, especially with wrong
> answers on the list, indicates a problem in the book. To correct that, I
> wrote some documentation concerning automatic module loading and added it
> to the chapter08/kernel.xml file. I had to do so because I cannot point to
> some ready-made documentation -- it just doesn't exist or is plain wrong.
Great, But by the time this makes it into an offical LFS release, will it
be double documenting the work that the udev/kernel/hotplug guys are
working on? Surely a fundamental package isnt going to be without
documentation forever.
Also udev and hotplug arnt essential, And there are otherways to deal with
devices. How about at some point, explaining why we use this option now in
the book, instead of trying to writeing docs for another project.
Or post some corrections to there docs, So that the book doesnt end up
bloated.

> What I don't like in my variant is that almost nothing is said about Udev.
How about adding what you want to say about udev, under the udev page.