Kernel page, once again

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 14 02:43:26 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov said the following on 12-06-2004 21:21:
> The current kernel page is too bad because people naively expect Hotplug
> to load all modules and Udev to create all devices they need. There was
> already three support requests on the "ALSA+Udev" topic.

On a larger timescale, is it possible to discuss the integration of the
collaborative work done on the Wiki about the kernel instructions?
Specifically, these pages:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingHostKernel
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BuildingKernel

The first intends to replace the current chapter 5 host requirements
page. It introduces the kernel and has extensive pointers to existing
documentation about building a kernel. It is superficial since detailed
instructions will be available in chapter 8. By pointing to existing
documentation, we deflect newbies and state the minimum required
abilities for LFS right at the start. And by providing extensive
references, we can still target existing LFS users and the
intermediate/advanced crowd which isn't yet familiar with 2.6.

The second page is a more structural approach to reorganise various
kernel-related pages, so that we actually explain what the kernel is,
what it's function is and how it relates to the various sub-systems
which we install in LFS. This achieves two goals: the user learns more
about the kernel, and is thus more capable of making an informed choice
about filesystem, modules, hotplug/udev, etc.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans