/etc/hosts per 5.1.1

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 14 19:43:23 PDT 2004

There seems to be many different opinions about how to write this file.
The book uses:

IP hostname.domainname hostname

while some documentation suggests:

IP hostname hostname.domainname

and for no netword card, the book uses:

IP hostname.domainname hostname localhost

and other documentation uses:

IP hostname hostname.domainname localhost localhost.localdomain

Is there any real difference? Can one be considered authoritative? Both
seem to work fine. I've used the latter in both network and no network
card machines for over a year. I've used the book's network card version
for at least 2 years prior to that with neither showing failures.
However, I don't use NIS/YP.

--
Archaic

"To undertake a project, as the word's derivation indicates, means to
cast the idea out ahead of oneself so that it gains autonomy and is
fulfilled not only by the efforts of its originator but, indeed,
independently of him as well"

- Cseslaw Milosz, Visions of San Francisco Bay.