Kernel page, once again

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Jun 14 21:31:32 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> I've added my comments to those pages, and I don't think we should be
> looking at a considerably "larger timescale" for that type of stuff.
> IMO it should be classed as a blocker for 6.0, but that is just my
> *opinion* not any kind of official line (yet).

I second that. However, I propose slightly different changes from what
Matt proposed. It seems that we have to do the following:

1) Move all optional/replaceable packages to ch8. This currently
includes: e2fsprogs, reiserfsprogs (just for showing the reader that an
alternative exists), make_devices, udev, hotplug, module-init-tools, the
"modules" script, grub and lilo. Yes, I am strongly against the "one
true path" approach.

2) Write some introductory pages that can lead the reader to the right
choice. Mention that udev and hotplug are very hard to get right from
the first attempt with a modular kernel.

I have talked with a professional teacher of phychology and she
convinced me that that defaulting to hotplug and udev is bad from
educational viewpoint since that violates a "one new complex thing at a
time" rule. Udev and hotplug are for those who come to LFS the second time.

3) Mention which modules will be loaded automatically and which devices
will be created on those pages.

4) Write three pages about modprobe.conf - one without hotplug and with
static /dev, one with hotplug and without udev, and one with both
hotplug and udev. The modprobe.conf files are just very different and
serve different purposes for those three cases. I will mail drafts of
those pages later in a text-only form, since I don't feel comfortable
creating new XML pages from scratch without a good template yet.

If you don't agree with this bloat, please bump up the requirements on
the "prerequisites" page: the builder must have already built a kernel
that works well with udev and hotplug (that's much more than "already
built a kernel"). We must either properly teach people to do that or
clearly document that we expect people to already know that.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .