Question About Unstable "Host system requirements"

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Mon Jun 14 23:21:07 PDT 2004

On Tue, June 15, 2004 at 00:53 -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:

> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
> > I suggest in the "Host requirements page" to mention
> > something about glibc's failure of the NPTL tests if your
> > kernel is compiled with 2.95.3. As Zack mentioned, it's
> > probably not prudent to say it's OK and not to worry about
> > it, but it needs to be mentioned.
> >

> Already in the works sorta.  Take a look at bz851.

"Sorta" is a stretch. There's no mention of this problem in the
bug, or on the Wiki page (at least not that I saw). In fact,
the Wike references the two documents I used when I upgraded to
2.6.4. Both of these docs have instructions to use gcc-2.95.3.

Perhaps a mention on the glibc page in Chapter 5 where there's
known issues on test failures (As an aside, I don't understand
explaining the test failures in Chapter 5, they really belong
in Chapter 6. The book is fairly adamant about skipping the
tests in Chapter 5, why explain the tests here?).

Anyway, it's something that could be fixed in 5 minutes and
save folks lots of time. Why not put it in the book right now?
There's really no reason not to. A one line command to discover
the compiler used and a couple of lines explaining the problems
one will encounter if gcc-2.95.3 is used.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

--
Randy