net-tools-1.60: DECnet support doesn't link

Matt Bartley mbartley2 at NO.cox.SPAM.net
Tue Jun 15 16:09:17 PDT 2004

In the chapter 6 compile of net-tools, if DECnet support is selected in
the make config script, it won't link without previously installing
compile-time libraries.

cc -D_GNU_SOURCE -O2 -Wall -g -I. -idirafter ./include/ -Ilib -c -o
hostname.o hostname.c
cc -Llib -o hostname hostname.o -ldnet
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldnet
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [hostname] Error 1

The libdnet.a library it's looking for is, for example, in the
libdnet-dev package in Debian.

Perhaps there should be a note in the book about this admittedly obscure
quirk.  I only discovered it because I tried in support for everything
in net-tools, even though I only use ethernet and IPv4.