Kernel page, once again

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 15 21:26:48 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> 4) Clearly state our current assumption that the reader knows everything
> about hotplug, udev and modular kernels, and already has a working
> combination of these three items. This would result in empty stated
> target audience, but the fact is that our real target audience (i.e.,
> set of people who are ready to read the book) is already empty.

We seem to be back at the same point we discussed over two weeks ago: if
the book is going to require significant changes to support _MODULAR_
kernels, then we need to strongly suggest that people do not build their
kernel/drivers in that fashion unless they are well versed in the
effects that will have on udev, hotplug and the rest of their system.

I don't understand why there is so much effort being put into making the
book/udev/hotplug/etc. handle these cases, when the simplest solution is
to just not use modules for 99% of the situations being talked about.