Kernel page, once again

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Wed Jun 16 00:32:45 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> The problem I see is, instead of constructive suggestions as to how to
> fix the problem, you are wanting to just take them out.  If we did that
> every time we have problems, we'd have never gotten past LFS 4.0 and the
> NSS libs issues.  A lot of the confusion with the recent questions is
> because the OP was posting to the incorrect list for his question
:)
> (BLFS-Support instead of LFS-Hackers), and many people didn't realize
> that the OP was on a udev-driven system, and therefore were giving
> suggestions that would NOT work in that enviornment.  I think the
> community needs to come together and try to work these issues out, not
> go running away from bringing the book forward to where it should be.

Very true, but I want to add some words.

We cannot work these issues out if only two or three editors (known:
Jeremy Utley and myself) actually use udev+hotplug+modules, and the
others just read white papers, README files, ads, ask "what's the
problem", and continue using static /dev.

{ad}
If you don't want to poison your known-good host system, build in chroot
and then transfer the image into qemu (free but slow) or vmware
(expensive and fast, but don't use 4.5.x versions because of bugs).
{/ad}
--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .