Kernel page, once again

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Wed Jun 16 07:16:59 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:06:58 -0700 "Kevin P. Fleming"
> <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>> Just saying "I use a modular kernel and it works" is not enough.
>

> The same issues always existed with modular kernels - some stuff just
>  never did happen automatically, even on 2.2 / 2.4
>
> I fail to see the problem.

I interpret this as "I fail to see a new problem". OK?

However, people expect things to happen automatically with hotplug. They
know principles of the old-style modules.conf "alias" configuration
well, therefore modules not loading automatically were not a problem.
Now a new magic package called "hotplug" that should, as they think, do
everything for them. Probably we have to reword this paragraph from the
hotplug page:

> The Hotplug package contains scripts that react upon various changes
> in the kernel state, in particular, addition and removal of hardware.
> This package also detects existing hardware during boot and inserts
> the relevant modules into the running kernel.

Suggestions are welcome.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .