Kernel page, once again

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 16 09:20:45 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> Roel Neefs said the following on 16-06-2004 06:22:
>>

>>> I think the community has seen enough now of these mails Jeroen, udev
>>> works, the majority of the community wants udev in, Matt made a
>>> decision, please try to respect those. There's no pointing in bringing
>>> the subject up every couple days.
>>

>> I didn't bring up the subject, and I was very careful to not suggest
>> the removal of udev/hotplug. However, I can't help it if my previous
>> views are deemed correct by others; especially not if a knowledgable
>> editor about the subject states it that way.
>>
>> PS don't try to attribute your opinion to the community; there have
>> been positive reactions to my mails too. The discussion so far has
>> been very constructive, working towards a solution within the given
>> paramaters. Let's try to keep it that way.
>>
> The problem I see is, instead of constructive suggestions as to how to
> fix the problem, you are wanting to just take them out.  If we did that
> every time we have problems, we'd have never gotten past LFS 4.0 and the
> NSS libs issues.  A lot of the confusion with the recent questions is
> because the OP was posting to the incorrect list for his question
> (BLFS-Support instead of LFS-Hackers), and many people didn't realize
> that the OP was on a udev-driven system, and therefore were giving
> suggestions that would NOT work in that enviornment.  I think the
> community needs to come together and try to work these issues out, not
> go running away from bringing the book forward to where it should be.
>
> -J-

I am not for removing, I am only for a single path written in the book
with alternatives provides on a *at your own risk* deal. I have little
experience with modular kernels and have no experience with
2.6/udev/hotplug, but what I hear is intriguing.  I think it is the way
to move towards.  Linux on the desktop has a ways to go and these things
are moving it in a good direction.  I think the book should put these
things in.  Keep them in unstable for a little so that we all can get
the kinks worked out.  Alexander P has identified some issues that we
need to remember (put in the book?).  One of the reasons why I have not
used modular kernels was a learning curve.  I just couldn't seem to get
it going the way I thought it should.  No biggie, monolithic kernels are
good for me.  I do, though, want to learn this new way and I think the
absolutely best place to learn it is right here in our book.  I think we
are all saying the same thing more or less.  This is what unstable is
for.  Put it in there, let is gel for a bit and test it out.  If we
don't like it, pull it.  If it works great, then move it to testing when
the time comes.  I see this as an excellent way to "see what works".

James