Kernel page, once again

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jun 16 13:55:05 PDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:51:47 +0100
Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> As LFS is *not* a distribution, I don't see that many users would
> *need* to compile modules for every conceivable bit of hardware out
> there. Rather, they would go through the .config/menuconfig/etc, and
> select what hardware they want/need supported and what won't be.  If
> they are indeed doing this, then telling them to select 'Y' instead of
> 'M' is a conceivable (but not neccesarily the best) solution.

Thats a non-solution.

I know *exactly* what hardware I need but I compile everything I dont
need to boot to a keyboard console into the kernel.

this allows me to debug stuff that breaks, or reinitialise a module
thats gone awry by re-plugging it.

in *theory* even USB should be removable, WITH a usb keyboard in use, as
the BIOS *should* be switched to seamlessly for input. Im not sure if it
actually works though. (read the OHCI spec - its clearly documented 'SMM
handoff'

anyhow, non-modular is a non-option IMO.