udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 16 15:09:57 PDT 2004

Folks,

As you are no doubt aware, there are some issues surrounding udev &
hotplug in the current unstable book.  The unstable branch is by no
means in a fit state to promote to "testing" yet, so this is a request
for folks to start testing the current instructions (at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/unstable/) to see exactly what
problems there are.  I'd prefer people to focus their attention on the
udev and hotplug configuration for obvious reasons, but any other
constructive comments are welcome too of course.

Obviously, please be sensible and don't try this on critical hardware -
we can't guarantee any kind of success or failure rate, although the
toolchain is fairly robust (for x86 at least!).

If you're willing to give it a shot and help the project out, can you
please read through
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=Misc%3A%20UdevHotplugStatus
for how to provide feedback.

Alexander, Kevin, Jeremy & Zack (and any other clued up udev/hotplug
people I may have missed) - can you check that page out so
we can fill in the details about existing known problems and proposed
solutions?

Thanks a lot,

Matt.