udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jun 17 03:37:43 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:17:51 +0600
> "Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:
>

>>And no snd-pcm-oss. That cannot be called a success. Maybe all people
>>who report success with udev+hotplug+modules are just very tolerant to
>>bugs and don't see them?
>
> *why* is that a bug?

OK, now I see at least one man who understands hotplug well!

It is not a bug, it is the correct state of things as configured per the
book (but you need to say this to Jeremy Utley). It is a perfectly valid
configuration, however, most users want snd-pcm-oss loaded, i.e., this
default is bad. I understand that it is not hotplug's job to load
snd-pcm-oss, but please explain that to Jeremy Utley. I am a very bad
teacher. (sorry for offensive tone, I should really have formulated this
in a different way).

Once again, this is not a bug, but an annoying candidate to the FAQ,
i.e. a problem with the book itself. The book currently does not
document the way to load snd-pcm-oss, and the documentation that comes
with the kernel says the wrong thing:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .