udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jun 17 08:09:17 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:37:43 +0600
> "Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>

>>The book currently does not
>>document the way to load snd-pcm-oss, and the documentation that comes
>>
>>with the kernel says the wrong thing:
>>
>>alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
>

> The book doesnt document a lot of things, including how to set up OSS
> properly or how to set up ALSA (which is a BLFS topic).

Probably you missed the "What is LFS?" flame war started by me. The
conclusion is that we MUST properly configure every package we provide.
As for LFS/BLFS split, I can change the example: mounting usb flash
drive requires the following line with udev+hotplug+modules:

install scsi-mod modprobe -i scsi-mod ; modprobe sd-mod ; true

Mounting devices is an LFS, not BLFS topic, so the question remains.

> I say this should be left to the user.
>
> udev doc will improve gradually, as will hotplug. if its no good by the
> time 6.x released we can only blame ourselves for not sending doc
> patches upstream.

While there can be some optimism about udev because it is a new package,
no hope is left for hotplug.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .