udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 17 11:46:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:09:17 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:37:43 +0600
> > "Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> >

> >>The book currently does not
> >>document the way to load snd-pcm-oss, and the documentation that
> >comes>
> >>with the kernel says the wrong thing:
> >>
> >>alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
> >

> > The book doesnt document a lot of things, including how to set up
> > OSS properly or how to set up ALSA (which is a BLFS topic).
>
> Probably you missed the "What is LFS?" flame war started by me. The
> conclusion is that we MUST properly configure every package we
> provide.

But we obviously don't provide ALSA or OSS so this is not an LFS
problem...but see below:

> As for LFS/BLFS split, I can change the example:
> mounting usb flash drive requires the following line with
> udev+hotplug+modules:
>
> install scsi-mod modprobe -i scsi-mod ; modprobe sd-mod ; true
>
> Mounting devices is an LFS, not BLFS topic, so the question remains.

Right, and that's what we need to get right.  What we need is a generic
method that allows users (or makes them aware of the need) to easily set
up such configurations if they require it.  Is this where 'createfiles'
(for devices) and Zack's 'modules' script (for module loading) fits in?

If someone gets to BLFS and realises they might need OSS compatibility
for one of their apps, then BLFS should provide instructions that make
use of facilities made available to them via LFS. Now, quite what those
facilities are, or need to be I'm unsure, hence the reason for this
discussion and the Wiki page.

Cheers,

Matt.