udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jun 17 13:30:23 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess said:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:09:17 +0600
> "Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:
>
>> Ian Molton wrote:

>> >comes>

>> > The book doesnt document a lot of things, including how to set up
>> > OSS properly or how to set up ALSA (which is a BLFS topic).
>>
>> Probably you missed the "What is LFS?" flame war started by me. The
>> conclusion is that we MUST properly configure every package we
>> provide.
>
> But we obviously don't provide ALSA or OSS so this is not an LFS
> problem...but see below:

Actually, with 2.6, LFS *DOES* provide support for alsa - it's in the
kernel now.  As for my earlier confusion with the OSS compatibility, all I
can say is it was a momentary brain fart LOL - there's no piece of
hardware associated with the OSS compatibility module, so of course
hotplug will not load it.

>> As for LFS/BLFS split, I can change the example:
>> mounting usb flash drive requires the following line with
>> udev+hotplug+modules:
>>
>> install scsi-mod modprobe -i scsi-mod ; modprobe sd-mod ; true
>>
>> Mounting devices is an LFS, not BLFS topic, so the question remains.
>
> Right, and that's what we need to get right.  What we need is a generic
> method that allows users (or makes them aware of the need) to easily set
> up such configurations if they require it.  Is this where 'createfiles'
> (for devices) and Zack's 'modules' script (for module loading) fits in?

Yep - exactly.  If we need to load modules at bootup, Zack's script is
perfect.  However, I think in this specific instance the issue should be
dealt with in the docs for module-init-utils - and the module utilities
have ALWAYS been woeful on documentation matters.

> If someone gets to BLFS and realises they might need OSS compatibility
> for one of their apps, then BLFS should provide instructions that make
> use of facilities made available to them via LFS. Now, quite what those
> facilities are, or need to be I'm unsure, hence the reason for this
> discussion and the Wiki page.

It's a simple one-line addition to /etc/modprobe.conf, or use of the
modules script to auto-load the module.

See, I'm beginning to understand!

-J-