glibc make check error

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jun 17 13:32:43 PDT 2004

Archaic said:
> Problem:
>
> glibc make check will bail if there is no GID 100?
>
> Here's a fix:
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2003-June/018204.html
>
> I haven't fully looked into this, yet, but it would seem that gid 100
> isn't special and that glibc is reading the stats of the current user.
> 100 is what many systems put the user lfs in by default since we don't
> set lfs to a group (redhat uses 1000, IIRC, so I'd be interested in
> seeing if glibc-build/grp/testgrp.out shows the correct gid or if it
> forces 100. Either way, I figure a groupadd command will have to be
> included so that lfs is a member of a proper group (again, still have to
> see if we must force a gid of 100).
>
> I'm still testing, and will get back to it when I've found out more.

You're exactly right - I ran into this thousands of times during the
initial conversion to PLFS - I've started doing a groupadd automatically
when I create my LFS user specifically to bypass this annoying little
thing.

Useradd, by default, will assign new users to gid 100 if no -g flag is
specified on the command line.

-J-